Why are Wheat and Grains Harmful to Health?
Chances are that you know someone who avoids eating bread because they are sensitive to gluten. Many wonder: What makes wheat and grains harmful to health, and if they are really that bad for us, then why are they still being used in the food we eat?
Processed wheat and grains are easily accessible, and very cheap, and very tasty which makes them extremely dangerous because they are in almost everything! These are our pastas, bagels, breads, cookies, crackers, you name it! It is these foods that are having disastrous effects on the health of our overall society, and a huge culprit behind the increase in obesity and chronic diseases and food allergies/sensitivities in this country.
To better understand the poor nutritional condition that grains are in after processing, the image below depicts how empty refined grains are of any nutrients:
Diseases and Conditions that Result From Eating Wheat:
- Celiac Disease: The devastating intestinal disease that develops from exposure to wheat gluten
- Digestive Conditions: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s Disease, Diverticulitis, Heart Burn, Acid Reflux
- Neurological Disorders: Parkinson’s, Stroke, Dementia, Fibromyalgia, Etc…
- Exaggerated blood sugar: Surges that lead to extreme hunger
- Allergies/ Food Sensitivities: Congestion, Coughing, Stuffy Head
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Disease
- Skin Conditions: Psoriasis, Rashes, itching, Wrinkles, Dry Skin, etc..
- Fatigue/Low Energy (Especially after meals)
- Mood Disorders: Depression, Anxiety, Severe Stress Schizophrenia
- Brain Fog/ Mental Clarity Issues
Inflammatory Grains to Avoid:
Yes, it’s true that inflammation can be caused by the foods we eat, including the types of wheat and grains harmful to health. Inflammation is linked to pain as explained in our article “Little-Known Link Between Pain and Inflammation“, and many are surprised to see how their entire body benefits from simply avoiding the following especially inflammatory grains.
“Gluten-Free” Doesn’t Mean It’s Safe
Watch out for these inflammation, disease, and/or weight gain causing ingredients hidden behind the mask of “Gluten-Free” labels.
- Potato starch
- Tapioca starch
- Rice starch
What Can I Eat With Wheat and Grains Harmful to Health?
Although we have another article that lists some healthier food alternatives, it always helps to have some more information to help you avoid the wheat and grains harmful to health.
- Flour Alternatives: almond flour, almond meal, chickpea flour/garbanzo bean flour, coconut flour, ground golden flaxseed (ground regular/brown flaxseed is not as baking-friendly), hazelnut meal, pecan meal, peanut flour, pumpkin
Below is a list of some bread and cracker alternatives to eating that are made with the above alternative flours.
- Ezekiel Bread/Sprouted Grain Bread (In moderation)
- Pasta Alternatives: Brown Rice Pasta (In moderation), Chick Pea Pasta (In
- Shirataki Miracle Noodles (Yam Noodles)
- Wasa Crackers
- Ryvita Crackers
- Coconut Flour/Cassava Flour Tortillas
- Steel Cut Oats
More Facts About Wheat and Grains
Did you know that wheat and other grains, like corn, for example, have changed drastically in the last 50 years? Wheat back in the 1950s and ’60s was very different than what we are eating today. Back then it was rich in nutrients and vitamins that actually fed the body.
Today in the twentieth century many grains are genetically modified according to the United States Department of Agriculture (See graph below). Another negative trend is that the majority of wheat that we come in contact with is completely refined, bleached with chemicals, and holds no nutritional value which leaves our bodies starved for nutrients.
Adoption of genetically engineered crops in the United States, 1996-2019
Brought to you by USDA’s Economic Research Service
Unfortunately, during the processing of grains, all of the nutrients and vitamins are completely stripped out and replaced or “enriched” with synthetic vitamins which are made from chemical sources and not whole food sources. This means we are eating “Empty Food”, which is food that the body can not really absorb nutrients from, which is the leading cause behind nutritional deficiency.